Porsche Plug-in Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Northeast USA Winter Operation Experience
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:41 pm 

In Albany, NY, I have just reached 2000 miles on my new 2016 Panamera S E-hybrid and noticed that my cumulative mileage per-gallon (since January) is just over 36; not bad for a heavy, moderately powerful car whose engine is not yet broken-in. I am running on 4 new Pirelli Sotto Zero, II 18" snows, and the car is not stored in a heated space overnight, thus sub-freezing morning starts are not unusual. In these cases, despite being plugged in all night, the gasoline engine fires right away and the e-assist doesn't come on till things are warmed up. And full charge provides a paltry 11-mile range.

What I am posting about is the experience of others in cold climates and the car's operation. I note that the Owners Manual urges that the car be stored in warm garage and that below 32, the e-assist will not activate upon cold start. I assume the engine monitoring system will take this into account for oil changes, etc. but I wondered if anyone has encounted any premature concerns (warning messages, decreased MPG, slower ignition, etc.) due to this type of repeated operation?

My previous car, a 2014 BMW i3 could be counted on to lose 20% range capacity in cold weather, (as does a friend's Tesla) but would start to improve as temperatures did; this car seems to be stuck at 11, even on the few days when it has reached 50F. Maybe it's still relying on past cold usage to calculate/predict current mileage; I certainy hope it improves with the arrival of Spring...and those gorgeous 20" Turbo wheels.

Thoughts/comments?
Thanks,

Ray